Last year, I chose a guiding word for 2012, 'embrace.' I used it as the overall guide for things I wanted to do in 2012 and thought out more genearl goals that fit under my guiding word. I think my guiding word was with me all year. It helped me get back to mindful self a bit, to be in the moment as much as I can, and to find the 'strawberry' or golden nugget in everything that came my way.
This year, I decided on a word that is a bit more for self-care. Not that 'embrace' wasn't, but I think I need a more inner-self word. So, I have selected 'breathe' as my 2013 guiding word. I need to take a step back, a slow step back these days. I find that sometimes, I am rushing so much or feeling stressed or so annoyed at the traffic in front of me, that I am holding my breath. I need to pause and breathe with attention and care for my inner self and for my body. I need to take a breath of fresh air more often. I need to pause and focus on my breath; I need to get back to yoga breathing. I need a little, simple silent mantra "breathe breathe breathe." 'Breathe' makes me envision oxygen going through my body, giving me strength and I need to do more physcial exercise breathing this year.
There is a wonderful yoga teacher in my town that does a class just for women with cancer. Her mantra "Breathe in all that is good, breathe out what we don't need' is so powerful and I need to focus on this exercise more often. I can't get to her class very often these days because of work, but I can sit and do this exercise on my own.
I think my word will help me shift that tiny bit when I need it most.
Last year, Jessie and I made banners with our words. I am hoping to make a new one for 2013.
Under my more general ideas and hopes for 2013, I hope to finish my dissertation (?!?!?), to read a bunch of fiction, to vacation with Mike (a few times!!), to walk more with Mike, to sew clothes, and to make shakes (with Kale!).
Monday, January 7, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
sign me up for a shake. I'm thinking around the 20th would be a good time. xoxo
Post a Comment